Skip to main content

Getting Organized: Settings

This is the fourth in a series of blogs about getting organized so I can finish two projects I have completed first drafts for (one a novella, one a full-length novel).
Wondering about the origins of this series? Read this blog: Getting Organized.
Other Parts: Tracking Characters, Plot Monster One & Two

This week: Settings

I know that my set-up last week for settings was pretty awful, but getting my settings organized was pretty painless - which was a HUGE blessing because this week has involved a lot of poking, prodding, and general discomfort for me personally.
This week's process also took a huge step away from sticky notes and notebook paper, and into the realm of index cards.

Here's What I Did...
First, I went back to the outlines to see what settings appeared in which part.
I wrote each one down on a separate index card, using a different colored ink pen for each one.
Then I noted on each card which part(s) of the story each setting was mentioned in.
If you want to get super-organized and use different colored index cards based on a system of your choosing, feel free.
I used 3"x5" white index cards because it's what I had on-hand, and they're incredibly cheap to buy.

My next step was to go back to the parts each setting is mentioned in and write down descriptions based on what I wrote in the story.
This included objects in the room, distance between objects, and the room's location within the building.
Whatever details you pick up on as you read through again should be fair game.

After that, I scanned each notecard into a .pdf file - three to a page.
Depending on the size you pick and the scanner you have, you might be able to do more or less.

Finally, I bought a notecard holder for the setting cards.
It has dividers, which will come in handy for storing the setting cards for later drafts.
You don't have to do anymore than wrap a rubber band around them - I just thought the dividers were neat.

Thoughts On The Process:

Like I said, this week was pretty painful for me personally, so it was a breath of fresh air to have a simple task for this week's blog post.
Additionally, I saved myself a lot of time by both noting the settings in the outline and making the setting cards as I wrote the outline.
All I had to do after that was look up the settings in each part and write the descriptions down from there.

Along the way, I noticed some of my settings were rich with detail, while others relied heavily on the reader using his/her imagination to fill in the blanks.
I also noticed that the settings rich in detail were the settings where the largest moments in my plotlines occured.
I wonder what that says about my view of settings in general - hmm...

As far as the scanning goes - I was really excited to do that this week.
When you're marking 8-1/2" x 11" pages with sticky notes in such a way that the notes are semi-visible, and the largest piece of paper your scanner is built to scan is 8-1/2" x 11", it's harder to scan.
If your scanner will take 11" x 17", then I recommend scanning EVERYTHING as you go along.
I'm really looking forward to using the scanner more as this progresses.

So, what is on tap for next week?
We'll be venturing back in character territory next week, with character bios.
I can't wait - can you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Writer's Toolbox: Thesauruses I Love

I don't know about the rest of you writers in the crowd, but there are times when I struggle to get the right words to come out onto the page. The debate over using thesauruses amongst authors can be fierce. My personal opinion is that there is definitely a place and time to use them (they've saved me from missing deadlines on a few occasions), so long as a writer is careful not to overuse them. Because I do consider them an essential in my writer's toolbox of resources, I thought I would share the ones I make the most use out of and where you can find them. 1. Webster's New World Thesaurus (credit: @catpollockwrites IG, posted 8/24/2017 ) When you were in grade school, did your teachers ever hand out those monthly or bimonthly Scholastic book catalogs with all the age-appropriate books coming out that they wanted you to buy? That, my friends, is how I got a hold of my thesaurus. It's almost like mid-thirties me traveled back in time and whispered int

Metaphors: Candles

I've recently fallen in love with candles. Since coming home from the World Race , I've bought at least one a month. My favorite candles are the ones that come in glass jars - because when they burn out, I can clean the remaining wax out and put the jars to other uses. Right now,  that means they get cleaned out and packed away in anticipation of my move to Flagstaff. But as I was lighting one tonight (vanilla spice... Thanksgiving smells? Yes, please!), I saw a metaphor for writing flickering away in the flame licking at the wick and melting the wax. I suppose it could be a metaphor for life in general, but since the theme of this blog is writing... Well, you do the math.

[Five Minute Friday] Purpose

Fiber bars, strewn along the side of the road. There had to be at least a dozen of them, still in their wrappers and completely unopened. No box in sight. Really? That's about the reaction my younger sister and I had when we stumbled on them on our early morning run. Really? along with disgusted sighs about the wastefulness of it. These were the expensive ones, not a generic store brand that kind of tastes and kind of looks the same sometimes. So, when we weren't keeping an eye out for their box, we speculated about what had happened. And wondered how many more we were going to see before the end of our run. "Maybe they took one bite and thought they were gross," my sister said. "So they threw them out because they didn't want them anymore." I let out one of those disgusted sighs and nodded along with her theory. "Yeah, or they got in a huge fight, and threw them out in a fit of rage." "That's a possibility." And